For more info, contact:
Advising Assistant 2
Email: cedward4 [at] central [dot] uh [dot] edu
Suresh Khator, Ph.D., P.E.
Graduate Program Director
Graduate Program Overview
The Department of Industrial Engineering at the University of Houston offers graduate programs leading to:
- Master's in Industrial Engineering (MIE)
- MIE/MBA Concurrent Degree
- Master of Science in Industrial Engineering (MSIE)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering (Ph.D.)
For Ph.D. degree only, graduate students must select an area of concentration from among the following:
- Engineering Management
- Manufacturing and Production Systems
- Operations Research
- Distribution & Logistics
- Ergonomics/Human Factors/Occupational Safety
Our students typically draw upon the wide spectrum of expertise and resources available at the UH campus, including those of the other departments in the Cullen College of Engineering as well as the departments of Decision and Information Sciences, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Areas of study range from the traditional IE domains of reliability, facility location and layout design, automated manufacturing, safety, quality control and project management to topics such as large scale optimization, statistical analysis, simulation, systems engineering and heuristic optimization. Excellent library and computing facilities are available to support both instructional and research work.
- Consult with the department website for the latest announcements and information. Please contact the Graduate Advisors, should additional information is needed
- Interested students may download an Application form from the Internet. For faster response, it is recommended that the completed application form and supporting documents to be either mailed or brought to the IE Department.
- Application fee must be paid by only checks or money orders. Please note that credit cards, electronic, or telegraphic transfers cannot be accepted.
IE Graduate Program Director
Dr. Suresh Khator serves as the Director and General Advisor for the MSIE (thesis) , MIE (non-thesis), and MIE/MBA degree programs. All MSIE and MIE candidates MUST see Dr. Khator for course selection and advising.
Dr. Khator serves as the Director and General Advisor for the Ph.D. degree program for all concentration areas including engineering management / manufacturing and production systems / operations research / distribution & logistics/ occupational safety / human factors / ergonomics. All Ph.D. students MUST see Dr. Khator for academic advising prior to the successful completion of the Screening Examination. Ph.D. students are required to identify and select a major advisor upon completion of the Screening Examination.
Contact the department for any new or detailed information if any changes have been implemented to the graduate program.
Current or upcoming class schedule can be obtained online here.
The information contained in this brochure is for supplementary purposes only. The basic regulations of programs are those set forth in the graduate catalogs for the University of Houston. The graduate catalog is no longer available in hard copy and can be viewed on the following web site: http://www.uh.edu/grad_catalog/